Thursday, 16 February 2012

Pictures and Measurements to Introduce Pythagorean Thm

I tried a little activity the past couple of math classes to introduce the pythagorean thm.  I reviewed what a right triangle was and then decided to let the students investigate a little.  The instructions the students were given was to go outside of the classroom and find 4 items that contain a right triangle, with a minimum of 2 items outside.  I gave them a templated sheet to record their findings, a camera (most used their cell phones) and a meter stick.  Their task was then to:
1) take a picture of the item  2) sketch the item on their paper  3) highlight the right triangle within the item
4) label the sides of the triangle a, b and c   5) measure and write the measurements of the 3 side lengths of the triangle on their sketch   6) come back to the classroom with all the information
From here, I had them invesigate.  I had them take their information and see if they could recognize a relationship between the squares of the 3 side lengths.  With some discussion and guidance we got to the definition/equation the Pythagorean Thm.  I then had them use the Pythagorean Thm. to figure out if what they thought was a right triangle just by looking at it, actually was.  This activity took 2 classes.  I never did use the photos they took, I thought I might come up with an idea to put them to use, but never did.  I am still thinking about it and may use them a little later within this section.
After this little investigation, we had a class of practicing using the Pythagorean Thm., and they all seemed to have a good understanding.  I am quizzing them tommorow, so I will have a better idea then.

No comments:

Post a Comment